Sunday, November 26, 2023

Think week 2023 (actually think weekends :))

In keeping with the tradition of "Think Week" during my holiday vacation, I am preparing to make progress on my GCPro golf course design.  Note: I am finding it easier to be creative when not tied into constraints of using Think Week for work related subjects.  In my previous iterations, I never knew if any of my efforts were actually going to be used.  This time it's different and I am finding it easier to be productive.  Think week has been changed forever!  I think this is more in tune with what Bill Gates might have had in mind actually we he came up with the idea.  Not that previous think weeks didn't help me, just being 100% in control of my destiny here is definitely leading to more productivity and energy.

A few private repos have been created:



  • OPCD Blender Buddy:    Plan is to automate bunker modifications to create some variability in the edges.  Working of example from C.E.Simgolf and trying to make basic modifications quicker for your medium level courses... Not going to replicate full mastery from C.E but hoping to get a "light" version that at least is quick and easy to make bunkers look a bit more natural

  • UnityAction:  Plan is to create a scoreboard to pull data from Firebase DB that will be populated from apps created in the FlutterAction project

  • Flutter Action:  Plan is to create flutter application that will enable score entry from Windows, Chrome, Android and iPhone.  Dedicated to the memory of Mr. K - my friend and former employer who introduced me and subsequently all of my friends to magic of "1 down automatic press".  This is truly the "Cadillac" of golf betting similar what Texas Holdem represents in poker.

  • Shader:  After sending my first finished holes through the OPCD process and planting trees, I realized that getting colors / textures correct is going to be a major part of the process.  This has let me into researching Unity Shaders and diving into Materials Creation
    • a 3D image is not just one file, but a composition of several file that the shader will then use to create a lifelike representation.
    • The learning curve here is extremely steep but it's fascinating stuff.  
    • I did make a breakthrough in discovering this free Materialize product: https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/
      Not only does this software make creation of the different maps that are needed for 3D rendering, it goes a long way in showing what the difference is between the maps themselves.  


              


No comments: